info-mtools

Re: [mtools] floppyd lock file problem - /tmp/-+dev-+floppy-+1

From: Sebastian Kiesel
Subject: Re: [mtools] floppyd lock file problem - /tmp/-+dev-+floppy-+1
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:58:37 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:55:32PM -0600, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> I'm having some difficulties using floppyd with mtools.  I'm not sure
> if this is the correct place to post.  If not, would someone be able to
> point me in the right direction?
>
> In a seemingly random fashion, floppyd leaves behind some sort of lock
> file called, in my case, '-+dev-+floppy-+1'.  From time to time a user
> will be unable to access the floppy - getting an access denied error.
> If I go to a local console and delete the lock file the problem is
> temporarily resolved, but will usually come back shortly, as if floppyd
> is somehow crashing and restarting itself without cleaning up the lock
> file in /tmp.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this or similar experieces?

There is an issue causing floppyd to crash when having problems
reading/writing the disk (e.g., physically defective media).
This was discussed on the mailing list in April 2003 (see archives).

This problem exists including mtools-3.9.9 ; it is fixed in patch
20030524 or later, e.g.,
http://mtools.linux.lu/mtools-3.9.9-20030718.diff.gz

regards,
Sebastian