info-mtools

[mtools] floppyd authentication

From: Denis Cardon
Subject: [mtools] floppyd authentication
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:56:17 +0100

Hi people,

I've been using mtools utils since back in '98 and I've to thanks all
the mtools dev team for this great piece of software.

Back then in the 90's, I was using mtools to avoid the mount hell when
accessing floppy drive. Now I have found it very effective for usb key
access !

I use it regularly in a ltsp (http://www.ltsp.org) environment using the
floppyd daemon. I think it is the only effective way to access securely
local device since it is based on X cookie authentication. It is very
smart!

I wanted to know how if you could shed some light on the floppyd access
the X cookie information of the X server. Indeed there does not seem to
have any Xauthority file on the ltsp client side (where floppyd is
running) and so the xauth program is of no use.

Cheers,

Denis Cardon
--
Denis Cardon