info-mtools

[Info-mtools] Various fixes for the web pages of Mtools

From: Therese Godefroy
Subject: [Info-mtools] Various fixes for the web pages of Mtools
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:49:45 +0100

Hello,

I am a member of the gnu.org French translation team, and also working
on the stylesheets with Ineiev (translation manager and webmaster). We
are essentially trying to clean them up, as a prerequisite for any
future style improvement. What makes this difficult is that some pages
in software/ use old versions of the boilerplate. We are especially
concerned with the expanded SSIs (in the Mtools pages, for instance)
because the included files (banner, body-include-1 and 2, footer-text)
are likely to change in the future.

The Mtools pages survived the last style change (in 2014) without too
much damage, but it may be safer to upgrade them to boilerplate 1.79.
This is what I did, and while at it I made a few other changes, some of
which suggested by Ineiev.

- The very short pages (download.html, mailing.html and 3rdparty.html)
were merged into intro.html, with a link to faq.html and back links from
faq.html to intro.html.

- The navigation bar was replaced with a table of contents.

- The tags were modernized (tt > code and name > id) and id="3rdparty"
was replaced with id="third-party" to pass validation.

- A dead link (wien ass de) was commented out.

- In faq.html, the <pre> blocks are now styled with a light gray
background and "overflow:auto". In the "newbie" item, the commands are
in bold face and the computer output in italic, as announced in the
text. I also made the commands in normal paragraphs non-breakable.

The files passed XHTML validation with xmllint, and I tested the changes
with a local Apache server.

The attached tarball includes a diff and the 2 modified pages. Of
course, these are only suggestions. I will try to answer any question
you may have.

Best regards,
Thérèse