info-mtools

[Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: [Info-mtools] Undefined libiconv symbols
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 07:07:03 -0600

Hi, here's another problem when building mtools 4.0.25 (but also earlier
versions) on macOS:

  "_libiconv", referenced from:
      _getWcharCp in charsetConv.o
      _dos_to_wchar in charsetConv.o
      _safe_iconv in charsetConv.o
  "_libiconv_close", referenced from:
      _cp_open in charsetConv.o
      _getWcharCp in charsetConv.o
      _cp_close in charsetConv.o
  "_libiconv_open", referenced from:
      _cp_open in charsetConv.o
      _getWcharCp in charsetConv.o
      _wchar_to_native in charsetConv.o

If I add -Wl,-liconv to LDFLAGS when I run ./configure, that fixes it, but it
would be nice if the build system would add that linker flag automatically.
Presumably it works without this flag on some systems -- maybe iconv functions
are in the standard C library on some non-Mac systems? -- so maybe you want to
add a configure test to see if linking with libiconv is needed.