info-sather

Re: New project leader needed for GNU Sather

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: New project leader needed for GNU Sather
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:29:49 +0200

Hi there,

thanks for your reply. There's little I could say against your statements, but
for one detail: in open source development, the question of finding volunteers
is very difficult to calculate! I know that it is hard to understand by
conventional means that anybody would spend time without earning any money from
it, but fact is: there have already been thousands of people working on free
project and the number is not decreasing at all.

I have no idea whether Sather really has a future. There's a ton of languages
out there and maybe Sather will just be one more to die out. But my opinion is
that Sather is in some way outstanding in design and maybe there are others who
think like that as well. It needs some work to bring it to production quality,
but if it ever gets there, it is no question to me that it will collect it's
community.

The whole thing is an experiment, and the only reason I can give to anyone for
investing time into it is the pure fascination of language/compiler design. I
love that matter and started out on it without much hope about making Sather a
main-stream language. If others follow up on it, there will always be the
chance that it has it's breakthrough, but it may as well die just a little
later.

As a glimpse into the history of computer languages shows, quality has never
been a reason for success, but since it should not have any negative effect
either, I believe that Sather might still have chances...

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!