info-sather

Re: Is there a CGI module kicking around?

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: Is there a CGI module kicking around?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:59:23 -0600

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 11:10:47 +0930 (CST), Michael Talbot-Wilson
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Duke Normandin wrote:
>
> > On 30/03/2012 1:20 AM, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> > > Yes!  '  wrote something called ", an
> > > interface to PostgreSQL.  Years ago.  I've been using it ever
> > > since.  There are recently-added libpg query and other
> > > functions not included.  It makes a connection and does
> > > PQexec(), whose argument is an SQL query string, but (from
> > > memory) not PQexecParams() which takes typed arguments.
>
> > Well that's a plus! Is that Sather's default "hook" into the
> > nether world of databases, or is there another more "native"
> > approach?
>
> No. Or I don't exactly understand. Just now I don't have that
> stuff at my fingertips.  But one point is that currently Sather
> only compiles to an executable, not to a binary object file
> (although it links with separately-compiled .o files), so you
> can't link Sather code when compiling pgsql.  And you can't have
> Postgres loadable modules written in Sather.  (Is that what you
> originally asked?)  On the other hand, Sather supports callbacks
> from C code, if it's a stand-alone Sather program.  Whether it's
> potentially possible to write a Postgres trigger in Sather I
> don't know.  Probably not.  I use PL/Tcl.

What I was asking was whether or not David W. Simons' "pgsaql" was
all there was currently available in Sather to connect to a
3rd-party RDBMS? And whether or not Sather had it's own "native"
database system?

> > > Dunno.  He offered it as new classes for the GNU Sather
> > > library but
>
> > What you refer to as "the GNU Sather library" is what I meant
> > by "a repository". Is this library available "online", or is it
> > simply a part of the Sather language package?
>
> I only meant the directory tree "Library" in the compiler package.

That's what I kinda thought! I was hoping for something like Perl's
CPAN, but ....

Seems that maybe Sather is the wrong tool for C GI work -for me - at
the moment. I'll keep test-driving Sather to get a better feel for
it, but Ada might be more attractive. Thanks!

--
Duke