jami

Re: [Ring] GSoC Houmin

From: Stepan Salenikovich
Subject: Re: [Ring] GSoC Houmin
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:18:56 -0400

> Here is my understanding:
> - the client for my project is at the same level as
>    - ring-client-android
>    - ring-client-gnome
>    - ring-client-ios
>    - ring-client-windows

yup

> - it uses ring-daemon API(dring.h) to communicate with the daemon. We can
> send the Ring text message via the client, the client then call ring daemon
> API to send message. When Ring message comes, the ring daemon receive it and
> our client got the message.
> - when we run our client, we need a Ring account. If not, our client should
> be able to create one.

yes

> - how to send message via our client: we may send our message via a command
> line or just a message file and our client read and send it.
> - the format of message might be something like JSON

yes

> - we can validate our client via some simple call first
> So we can create  a simple C++ client first which can receive and send Ring
> text messages.

yes, sending/receiving a chat message would probably be the easiest,
at least in terms of the dring API

> My questions is:
> 1. what does it mean by "the Ring account can be created using another client
> We can create our ring account by ring-client-gnome/windows/android/...  Are
> these The "another client" ?

Yes... the process of creating an account in terms of the API is a bit
complicated, I don't think it should be a priority until later. If
you're developing on GNU/Linux just use the gnome client to generate
your Ring account for your new client.

> 2. In my understanding, our client is worked as a command-line program
> independently. But I think it will and should be merged to the already
> existing client(like ring-client-gnome/windows...). Is my understanding right?

No, not for now anyways. It will probably just be a separate
repository/project. I don't think we want to worry about integrating
this new functionality with existing client for now.

> 3. Since the client can be used to a lot of IoT situations, we only need to
> validate to some of it. And extend it later. Is this OK?

Yup.

-stepan