jami

Re: [Ring] Patent-encumbered or proprietary codecs?

From: Thomas Daede
Subject: Re: [Ring] Patent-encumbered or proprietary codecs?
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 01:37:10 -0700

On 08/04/2017 08:18 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Thomas Daede wrote:
>> (plus, as you may have guessed by now, I'm really not a huge fan of a
>> GNU project endorsing or supporting proprietary codecs)
>
> Are the codecs you identified (H.264, H.263, and MPEG-4 ASP) proprietary
> or patent-encumbered?

They are patent-encumbered. The licenses the patents are available under
make them proprietary (though some people don't take patents into
account for this determination). The implementation is LGPLv2.1+.

> Patent-encumbered software doesn't necessarily restrict all users the
> same way. Patent-encumbered codecs can be implemented as free software
> because not all users are under the same patent regime; a program that
> is patent-encumbered can prevent some users from using the program in
> freedom but not other users.

Users in at least the US, EU, and most of Asia are encumbered, which
likely makes up the majority.