jami

[Ring] Q/A party 2 (public usename oriented)

From: Guillaume Roguez
Subject: [Ring] Q/A party 2 (public usename oriented)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 14:56:37 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Ring fellows,

Today, some questions around the public username asked during a Ring account
setup.

---

Q: What happens if I choose not to register a public username?

A: You don't get a public username, that's it :-)

Ring doesn't need a public username to work, it's only a more human way to
remember and share a RingID.
Nothing more.

---

Q: What makes Ring public username registration still "experimental"?

A: When we have started to use a blockchain to map usernames with RingID', we
have not
decided to what to do with the database, even not how the smart-contract behind
will correspond
to the needs. We don't know if we'll continue to host the db or share it in any
possible ways.
That's why we prefer to be transparent with users and warn them about the
"experimental" usage.

---

Q: Does it make sense to register an anonymous "username" for the public
directory and use my real name & foto as my "display name" to enhence privacy?

A: The database behind store only a mapping of a string with a RingID, nothing
more.
So you can choose whatever you want.
You just have to know that when it's done, it's not reversible or deniable.

---

Q: Do I get things right that there is no plausible deniability possible with
Ring right now?