jami

Re: [Ring] redaction feature

From: Julian Foad
Subject: Re: [Ring] redaction feature
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 10:01:35 +0000

bill-auger wrote:
[...] a terrible feature that discourages mindful communication and
facilitates evasion of the responsibility for one's words
[...] think carefully before you press "send" or simply stop
worrying [...]

I feel embarrassed when I make a mistake in front of all my correspondents.

I want to correct my mistake.

I have plenty of ways I can "speak" my correction, certainly:
   "I meant 'Bob', of course."
   "Sorry, that should be 'Bob'."
   "s/boob/Bob/"
   "*Bob"

This is a modern computer system so why on earth can't it let me make my correction directly, like in a WYSIWYG word-processor? Why should I have to write another message in which I indirectly, fuzzily, refer to a mistake which my correspondents have to interpret as probably being in the last or one of the few last messages I wrote, or perhaps I was pointing out a mistake in someone else's recent message, when the computer could perfectly well enable me to point precisely at the place I mean and display a clear indication of what I want to change it to? Like when "show changes" is enabled on a word processor, and the computer shows the old text with strike-through and the new text with underlining and/or different colours.

When I "speak" my correction, the other participants can judge whether I am behaving inappropriately or trying to pretend I didn't really mean something I said before. Similarly, if I use a computer-assisted correction mechanism, it should also enable the participants to see so they can judge me, and the social pressure of the group is what keeps the participants honest.

Here is a real example of the "honesty" principle. I use and participate in the development of the Subversion version-control system, and one of its features is you can edit the log message of an old committed change. One could potentially misuse this to pretend that the change was made for a different reason, or by a different person, or had been tested when in fact it had not been tested. But the social conventions of a team mean that the feature is in practice not abused -- because if someone abused it then they would not be welcome to stay in the team.

What I am trying to say is don't underestimate the importance of giving users a good way to achieve their basic need to be seen as a pleasant or careful correspondent, or whatever particular characteristic is important in their situation.

This doesn't mean the system should allow arbitrary un-tracked editing of any and all messages, certainly not. A system that pretends it has absolutely finally redacted or replaced a message is lying, in principle, so that is a bad user interface, and just annotating the new version with "(edited)" is hardly any better if it does not let you see the old version. But then going the whole way the other way and showing a whole (branched?) version history is ridiculous too.

But there are some lovely shades of grey in between black and white.

- Julian