jami

[Ring] Important information about the project

From: Cyrille Béraud
Subject: [Ring] Important information about the project
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 18:40:51 -0500 (EST)

Good day everyone,

My name is Cyrille Béraud and I am the president of Savoir-faire Linux, the company that is developing the project entitled Ring.

I am writing to you today in order to share some important information about the project.

It is also an opportunity for me to give you an update and to establish our perspectives for the future.

The most important information I have to share with you is that we have decided to change the name of the project. It was done reluctantly, after many months of hesitation, but we think that this is the best solution at this point in time. Indeed, there are many commercial products (some with Ring-like features) protected by trademarks, that use the name Ring, creating a great deal of confusion for users. We know that as a GNU package name, we could retain our right to use this name. However, we prefer to use our energy to do what we know, and can do best: develop new features and ensure the constant improvement of our project.

After much discussion among ourselves, we have chosen Jami as the new project name.

The project will be accessible through https://jami.net.

In the upcoming days, you will get to see this new name gradually appear and we hope to finish the transition to our new name by the beginning of the new year.

The naming of a project is always a sensitive and emotional issue. I hope that the community that supports us will understand the decision for the change in name.

Changing a name is also an opportunity for one to reinvent oneself, or to mark a significant milestone. This name change comes at the right time for us. After four years of effort and development, we are proud to present to the community a free, universal, distributed communication system that enables secure and reliable communication between users. During the past year we worked on making the software more reliable and robust. Much still remains to be done, but we now believe that Jami is ready for everyday use both for individuals, or companies.

To ensure the success of the project, it is not just the matter of providing the best technology, but also a framework that facilitates its adoption. This is why we have asked the Free Software Foundation to put this project under protection as a GNU package. We consider, as professionals, that a GPLv3 license is the most suitable license for this type of project. It is also, the best possible framework to meet the technological challenges we face with the appropriate license to ensure the sustainability of the project, while creating value for our users in terms of respect of privacy and the confidentiality of communication.

Contribution to the development of the Jami ecosystem is one of the fundamental conditions for the success and viability of this platform. Using a multitude of different tools and technologies, requiring low-level as well as high-level development, being one of the few projects using distributed technology, the opportunities for cooperation are opening up to the community and its contributors.

In order to ensure the success of the project, we need you and your input!

We also believe that another condition for its adoption is the creation of a viable business ecosystem. We want to encourage this, and facilitate the development of services to be offered in and around Jami.

Technically, during the upcoming months, we aim to quickly provide a group chat functionality. This challenge is not simple within a distributed system, but we think we have found the way to make it happen. We also want to be able to use hardware encoding and allow the use of 4K technology. We will also put our efforts in building a stronger Windows version which has been neglected for far too long. Our aim is to be ready to present these improvements in the spring.

We hope that the community will remain as active and supportive as it has in the past.

To contribute to the project, please do not hesitate to visit our Gitlab at https://git.ring.cx

Freely yours,

Cyrille Béraud

--