jami

Re: Feature Suggestions for Jami [Android]

From: Richard Troy
Subject: Re: Feature Suggestions for Jami [Android]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 06:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jami folks,

I'm surprised at some of Randy's asks. I have no idea of Randy's experience but if he's not paying you handsomely a lot of those suggestions sure seem like time wasters to me - suitable for suggesting to a very well funded and large team on a product more mature than Jami, perhaps.

Even then, some of them, to my eye, are Nanny-State type asks that are completely impractical, either huge security risks to implement OR simply impossible on modern in-your-pocket (cell phone) computing - for example, a content blur feature? "NSFW?" Really? The LAST thing I'd want is that. You'd either consume ALL the resources on the phone just processing images to check content OR you'd open up all sorts of privacy, security and other risks if the content was sent elsewhere for analysis. Plus, you'd have to scan every image. And to what standard of morality? Women can't show their ankles or faces - those are "a thing" in some societies around the globe today. What about medical doctors?

Isn't it better if people just learn to be mature adults? And for those who can't manage it, I recommend just disabling image transmission all together - THAT is possible without all the implementation problems.

Further, what clueful person, on a product like this, asks for an "unsend" feature? Sorry, it's ALREADY SENT. Perhaps a few un-intended sends will wise a person up to the reality of life and perhaps follow the old wisdom "engage brain before opening mouth." In short; BE MORE CAREFUL. (OTOH, the UI should be mindful of people in challenging circumstances accidentally hitting any given interface item - broken screen? Using on a subway system and the car rocks? Sure, protect with an optional confirmation check where appropriate... But I'd HOPE that computer users today are savvy enough to know that un-send "is just not a thing."

I'd venture a guess that Randy here doesn't really know what he's asking for, OR is deep pocketed and intends to hand the development team a few million dollars. But if the latter, would his asks be communicated this way? I doubt it.

I'm only responding because figured that if someone is going to make such recommendations, maybe somebody else might want to chime in on them. So, these are of course:

Just my two cents,
Richard