js-shield

0.12 and 0.12.1 released

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: 0.12 and 0.12.1 released
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 16:52:00 +0200

Hello,

0.12 is out:

* Cope with the changes of reported plugins and supported MIME types in the
HTML standard and
  browsers: The purpose of the wrappers is solely to prevent fingerprinting. As
browsers return the
  same 5 plugins, browsers modyfing the array stand out, which makes them more
fingerprintable.
  Hence, JShelter does not modify the empty list or the list of five standard
plugins.

Reconsider and rewrite Web Worker wrappers (pagure issue 80)
* `Strict` WebWorker policy intentionally breakes Web Workers
* New policy to `Remove` Web Workers used for `Turn fingerprinting protection
off` and `Strict` level.
* `Medium` WebWorker policy renamed to `Low` as it only tackles a single issue
with Workers.

See FAQ for more information on current Worker wrappers.

Note that the `Low` policy does not work as intended in Firefox and will be
fixed in future.
However, it was broken in the same way before 0.12 and the other changes are
worth distributing
among our users.

Unfortunatelly, I caught a bug in the new version only after the release so
0.12.1 was release quickly after 0.12:

* bugfix: Return the correctly created Worker object from the `Strict` wrapper.

0.12 distributed, website updated. I cannot upload 0.12.1 to Chrome Store, yet.

The number of new Firefox installs is lower compared to the period around Libre
Planet. We seem to have more or less stable number users with weekly peaks just
above 600. I also see some increased activity in Chrome store. It looks like we
are gaining Chrome users: 3317 weekly users a month ago, 3609 weekly users now.

While working on the Worker issue I noticed that Chrome injection tends not to
break the environment. I think that once we fix Firefox bugs like
https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/22,
https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/57,
https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/80.

Best wishes,