js-shield

Development meeting 20230509

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Development meeting 20230509
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:24:17 -0400

* Grants (Development/Design)
  * NLnetbb
    - Asked NLnet for JShelter stickers.
* Open Technology Fund - ‘Free and Open Source Software’ Sustainability Fund
    - Still looking at it.
  * HORIZON
    - Still looking at it.
  * Be on the lookout for other grant opportunities.

- Speaking (Development/Design)
  - Working on interview for FSF bulletin with Greg.
    - Questions pasted at end.
    - These answers could help our FAQ page.
  - SECRYPT
    - Short paper accepted
  - Other potential conferences
    - 2023-08-05–08-13 DEF CON https://defcon.org/ - Las Vegas, NV
    - 2023-08-05–08-10 Black Hat https://www.blackhat.com/ - Las Vegas, NV

* Manifest V3 (Development)
* We have at least 6 months once they announce the date. The date has not been been announced.
  * Working with what we have now.
* Chromium is in debugging mode. Most of what we do, should still work. The service workers still uncertain. Working on separate branch of nscl.

* Network error logging
  - Discussed impact, potential mitigations, and paper.

* Paper
  * Updated usage graphs, service workers, and new version.
  * Updated version: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2204.01392.pdf

* News
  * Updates to FAQ.

* Next meeting (Development/Design)
  * Development meetings repeating every two weeks from Jan 31st onward.
  * Next meeting: May 23rd

1. How would you describe JShelter? (
2. How did the project start?
3. Can you give some examples of what malicious JavaScript on the web
  can do? How does JShelter circumvent it? (ma1)

4. Is JShelter only for technical users? How would an "everyday user"
  benefit from using it?

5. What's the "perfect world" in terms of the web look like in your
  opinion? For example, would you put specific limits on what
  JavaScript can or can't access?

6. But on the other hand, what's the worst case scenario in terms of
  abusive JavaScript? Are we living it now?

7. Can you give us some details on the changes you're making to
  JShelter for ManifestV3?

8. How can someone get involved with the JShelter project?