js-shield

Development Meeting 20230718

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Development Meeting 20230718
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:52:08 -0400

* Grants (Development/Design)
  * NLnet
    - Ongoing.
* Open Technology Fund - ‘Free and Open Source Software’ Sustainability Fund
    - Still looking at it.
  * CZ-US Relation
    - Applied.
  * Be on the lookout for other grant opportunities.

- Speaking (Development/Design)
  - Working on interview for FSF bulletin with Greg.
- Published! https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2023/spring/freedom-and-privacy-on-the-web-our-interview-with-the-jshelter-team
  - SECRYPT
    - Talk happened. Also talked about NEL.
- We were recommended to present findings to Privacy Interest Group (PING).
      - https://www.w3.org/Privacy/IG/
      - https://github.com/w3cping/tracking-issues/issues

* Progress on reported bugs (Development/Design)
  * Web Workers discussion
  * Went through Brave issues. Brave users are easy to distinguish.
    * https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/14031
    * https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/11770
    * https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/8787

* Manifest V3 (Development)
* Upcoming in-person meeting at TPAC might help. https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC
  * Upcoming Mozilla discussion.

* TOR
  * TOR would be interested in new fingerprinting found in the wild.
  * If we have any new findings, we should present them to TOR.
* We could arrange a meeting to see if we could be a part of sponsored work. * Potential ideas for research or collaboration could be based on https://gunesacar.net papers or projects. * We could compare what APIs we wrap with what TOR and Mullvad browser handle.

- Optimization follow-up
  - PR https://github.com/polcak/jsrestrictor/pull/201

* Next meeting (Development/Design)
  * Development meetings repeating every two weeks from Jan 31st onward.
  * Next meeting: August 15th.
  * Following meeting NOT on Aug 1st.

Best,
Michael McMahon | Web Developer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 4337 2794 C8AD D5CA 8FCF  FA6C D037 59DA B600 E3C0
https://fsf.org

Let's work together to improve and spread free software: Join the FSF community by July 21: https://www.fsf.org/appeal