js-shield

Some experience with Weblate

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Some experience with Weblate
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 15:41:05 +0200

Hello,

I want to share my experience with weblate.

1. It does not fully support placeholders in localization files so that
translators cannot fully translate the extension. Workaround: I mention in the
blog post that direct work with JSON files is needed.

2. Weblate internally creates a fork of the repository. Automatic fetches from
Pagure work. I can clone that repostory.

3. Weblate internally creates commits to its fork. A modification in one string
can change the whole translation file. Meaning that right now, I cannot easily
see what exactly changed in both translation files.

4. Also Weblate propagates the Russian translation to the project which is not
ready. So I do not want it in the main branch.

5. I obviously do not want to merge such commits (point 3 and 4).

6. However, whenever I push conflicting changes with points 3 and 4. For
example, I manually translate a different string then changed in Weblate,
Weblates tries to rebase its changes and ends up with a conflict.

7. I could stop Weblate to automatically receive our commits but that would
likely mean that the repository and Weblate will end up desynced.

So I am now thinking about a possible workflow or tools that could actually
sidestep the deficiencies of Weblate and its view on which commits I actually
want to merge into the repository.

Best wishes

Libor