js-shield

Website translation plans

From: Ricardo Lafuente
Subject: Website translation plans
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:13:00 +0100

Hi everyone,

We've gone through the Weblate documentation and understanding what's already implemented. It's been inspiring to go through the i18n tools in the repository, great work Libor :-)

As for the website, we've reviewed the possibilities and the most straightforward way seems to add the Markdown files themselves to Weblate. Support seems to be experimental (https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/formats/markdown.html) but we'd wager a try.

One detail is that the wrapper Markdown files are extracted from the code comments, but every website build extracts those comments into MD files, so it shouldn't be much of an issue (or maybe we're being too optimistic?)

If you agree, we'll proceed to extend the scripts to include the website files. Perhaps it's worth creating another component on weblate to distinguish these from the webextension?

We just want to be sure we're aligned on a good way to go, especially since there's already so much work integrating Weblate, we don't want to just go in and break things.

We can also discuss these points tomorrow in our meeting.

Cheers,
A&R