js-shield

Re: Website translation plans

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Re: Website translation plans
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:02:38 +0200

Hello A&R,

Hi everyone,

We've gone through the Weblate documentation and understanding what's already
implemented. It's been inspiring to go through the i18n tools in the
repository, great work Libor :-)

As for the website, we've reviewed the possibilities and the most
straightforward way seems to add the Markdown files themselves to Weblate.
Support seems to be experimental
(https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/formats/markdown.html) but we'd wager a try.

I guess that would be the only viable way. A note for today meeting/further
thoughts: What do we do about links like
https://jshelter.org/faq/#project-information?:

* They are generated by pelican automatically,
* when the title changes to something like "Informace o projektu", the link
would change https://jshelter.org/faq/#informace-o-projektu.
* That would mean that any external link would not work with different
languages (I would say I bad outcome).
* That would meant that any markup inside the faq (or other page) needs to be
fine-tuned to the localized version (I would say I bad outcome).

One detail is that the wrapper Markdown files are extracted from the code
comments, but every website build extracts those comments into MD files, so it
shouldn't be much of an issue (or maybe we're being too optimistic?)

I am using the weblate branch as a throw-away branch. I think we can comment
these files to that branch.

If you agree, we'll proceed to extend the scripts to include the website files.
Perhaps it's worth creating another component on weblate to distinguish these
from the webextension?

I am for extending the scripts.

Another component sounds reasonable.

We just want to be sure we're aligned on a good way to go, especially since
there's already so much work integrating Weblate, we don't want to just go in
and break things.

It looks like a good way. Let's discuss at the meeting.

We can also discuss these points tomorrow in our meeting.

One point to research is if Weblate auto-checks (like
https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/jshelter/webextension/cs/?q=has:check) can
detect differences in markup tags. But that is not crucial.

Best wishes

Libor