Re: [Libcdio-devel] Drive capabilities on FreeBSD, need work?

From: Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Drive capabilities on FreeBSD, need work?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:46:34 +0200

On Thursday 21 July 2005 14:32, R. Bernstein wrote:
>  > Is this a planned behavior, or needs to be fixed?
> More ignorance than planning.  But my understanding is that CAM access
> in FreeBSD is the preferred mechanism for whatever you are doing.
Not sure about this actually, but I know that the atapicam driver is not in
GENERIC kernel (the one installed by normal FreeBSD, and the one the config
file is shipped with freebsd's sources also on Gentoo/FreeBSD), and it's
neither commented out on the config file or in FreeBSD's handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
 .
Also, eject-1.5 (the eject command installed by ports) doesn't use CAM but
uses CDIO to do the eject.

As cam doesn't work "out of the box", I think I'll start looking at ioctl to
improve it.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/