Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: comments and questions

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: comments and questions
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:00:11 -0500

R. Bernstein wrote:
The 2 second gap at the beginning is there because it was felt that
this is what is mandated by the Philips Red Book Standard or IEC 960
or IEC 60908. I've not seen either of these documents as these are not
free. It was my understanding that (probably older) CD players also
required this. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/libcdio/libcdio.html#SEC25
omitted
In your situation, it sounds like you are writing DTS-encoded
information using Redbook formatting. I don't doubt for what you are

I read that bit of the documentation. In fact, I read ALL of the documentation.

Perhaps I should NOT have mentioned the DTS-encoded discs. They were a red herring of sorts. The problem just happens to be particularly aggravating with those discs.

However, the problem applies to ordinary audio compact discs too. I used to work for BMG Entertainment. Consequently, I have a collection of at least 500 ordinary audio compact discs, factory manufactured, by major labels. Some of my discs were manufactured as early as 1984. I have been using EAC to copy them to my computer for my convenience (It's like a giant jukebox.) EAC does gap detection.

As a result, I have empirically determined that the majority of ordinary audio compact discs lack gaps, and they all plain fine in my Pioneer compact disc player, which was manufactured in 1989. The main exceptions are live discs, which often have gaps, and have audio in those gaps! Those play fine in my 1989 Pioneer compact disc player as well!

Oddly, many of the discs have a gap for the first track, but rarely for any of the others.

I would not have mailed the list if I was not absolutely certain about the gap situation, but then you are only now being acquainted with me, so you would not have known that! Hence, I must continue to use my own lsn to MSF function until the library is fixed.

As for the mailing list and libcdio, it's always been a volunteer
organization. People come and go as they feel the need, have time or
the interest. Best as I can tell, the library is used more now than
it's ever been.

Cool! I won't be afraid to write more code that depends on the library. Thank you for a most excellent library.

Regards,

Rob