Re: [Libcdio-devel] reject

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] reject
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:26:29 -0400

> Hi,
>
> finally found some time to work on CD-TEXT implementation again.
> <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7532>
> reads DISCID field
> reads and converts GENRE field ... a single cd out of about 20 that had
> CD-TEXT had the GENRE field set. A fairly new one though. (Pink Floyd - Dark
> Side of the Moon remastered)
> reads BLOCKSIZE and sets charset according to that info
> BLOCKSIZE also has some nice statistics, that could be used for debugging.
>
> Documentation is very thin on the internet. Best sources were wikipedia and
> cdrtools sourcecode.
>
> Looks like originally the supported character sets were supposed to be
> ASCII, ISO-8859-1/Windows-1252, Japanese, Korean and Chinese.
> Shift-JIS was used for Japanese characters. I don't think Korean and
> Chinese was ever supported by anything.
>
> Now. I did not even find a single cd authoring tool, that supports
> specifying the encoding. Looking through my cd collection I found that most
> of them were ASCII, a few had some special characters though and were
> ISO-8859-1. How did I tell? One of the new features I implemented is reading
> of the PACKSIZE information and those have a byte to specify the charset. I
> believe that some old CDs with Shift-JIS charset exist in Japan.
>
> @Rocky: Since I did not find a tool to burn dbc, I cannot provide an image.

Is it possible to create a new image using cd-text information similar to
the kind you find that gave you problems?

> With those patches we should have a pretty complete implementation of the
> CD-TEXT standard how it is used.
>
> I believe now, that the TOC and TOC2 fields were never used.
> I really don't think it is necessary to extract block 1-7 anymore. Same
> reason.
>
> For the future:
> implement CRC checks of cd-text data. Is there crc code in cdio at all?

Although a UDF structure also has a two-byte crc field, I do not recall any
code to  compute a CRC.

add public methods to access blocksize data and a direct method to access
> charset.
>
> I hope you can use it somehow.
>

> Remark: Does logging work?

 Yes.  One way to see it working is to run example/sample4 which lists track
number and give it a bogus file name:

    $ ./sample4 fdafdas
    cdio 3 message: Can't get file status for fdafdass:
    No such file or directory
    cdio 3 message: could not retrieve file info for `fdafdass': No such
file or directory
    cdio 3 message: can't open nrg image file fdafdass for reading

The messages above are coming out via the log handler, the "3" being the log
level.

Gave me segfaults when I tried.

It could be that you didn't set up the log handler properly. More detail is
needed. Like what you did and a what you got including
the backtrace from the SEGV.

It migh