Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.83 release around Oct 27

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 0.83 release around Oct 27
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:24:10 +0200

Hi,

> I've taken your suggestion and added the #ifdef. I wonder though if I had
>  used
>
> class ISO9660  { ... }
>
> class ISO9660::FS if that wouldn't have also solved the problem better since
> FS in this case probably wouldn't have been considered a token by the C
> preprocessor.

I am not skilled in C++.
When i replace

  class FS : public CdioDevice // ISO 9660 Filesystem on a CD or CD-image

by

  class ISO9660::FS : public CdioDevice // ISO 9660 Filesystem on a CD or
CD-image

i get

  In file included from iso9660.cpp:24:
  ../../include/cdio++/iso9660.hpp:155: error: qualified name does not name a
class before ':' token

This happens with and without undefining FS.

Do you have another proposal to test here ?

> > My old version works fine under libburn and GNU xorriso.
> I'm not sure what this means.

I meant the git clone of may 2010 with my development modifications
to the Solaris driver (and my workarounds to build obstacles).
Just to make sure that my Solaris did not change to make it unusable.

> > libcdio.texi:4: @include `version.texi': No such file or directory.
> This is because there is still the problem of your not reading/following
> developer instructions.

There are instructions ? :o)

> Part of the way things are the way they are is because that's how autotools
> works. I worry about folks who don't read the instructions, don't understand
> autotools (which is admittedly obstruce) and run "make dist".

Hmmm. README.libcdio says i shall read README.develop.
But that does not mention
  doc/how-to-make-a-release.txt
which i now found by grepping for "distcheck".

> I'll happily provide tarballs if you need them.

It's just that my Solaris has no git and that i am reluctant to
still download packages from Oracle. Let's count it as my amateurish
way to transport libcdio source from GNU/Linux to Solaris.

> Solaris man Ifcomple? what's that?

Developer instructions for Large File Support on 32-bit systems. :))
E.g.
  http://compute.cnr.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?lfcompile+5

It prescribes
  "Set the compile-time flag _FILE_OFFSET_BITS  to  64
   before including any headers."

libcdio's config.h has:
  /* Number of bits in a file offset, on hosts where this is settable. */
  #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64

In the four test programs, config.h is included after some system headers.

> I just reread that link. I don't understand what you are talking about
> either time. The C programs listed above are example programs.  And I was
> able to compile these on Solaris.

Do your Solaris system headers react on _FILE_OFFSET_BITS at all ?
(How olde is your installation ? Is it a 64 bit system ?)

> >    cd-info.c:1103: warning: implicit declaration of function 'bzero'

> I've added a conditional include of <strings.h> perhaps this will address
> this.

Yep. This silences the warning.

> Okay. Good news. Thanks for the detailed testing and reporting.

I meanwhile remembered that libcdio has a test suite too.

If you want me to run any tests, give me instructions for dummies.

I also have a real FreeBSD 8 at hand.
(And a virtual GNU/Hurd, too ... but i am still negociating with
 the developers how to drill a tunnel from userspace to the old
 Linux 2.0 drivers for SCSI and ATAPI which sit in gnumach.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas