Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Support for non-POSIX systems?

From: Leon Merten Lohse
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Support for non-POSIX systems?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:58:02 +0100

Already having the code to point to different functions on different platforms and having the routines for various OSes it would be a shame to support only POSIX. How can we call libcdio platform independent if we support only POSIX systems and what is the point of this library? If we support only POSIX we can get rid of a lot of abstraction that was already done. Also Pete Batard spent a lot of his time getting libcdio to compile on MSVC.

I am a convinced Linux user but imho as long as the projects using libcdio like VLC are released for other systems we should try to do so, too. The demand is there.

What we do need are people to test and maintain the releases for the different systems. We can talk a lot about what to do or not to do but without individual care it will not work out. Every release has to be tested on every system we claim to support and should at least have all the major features.

This does not have to be the case with git. If a POSIX developer submits a patch imho it would be wrong asking him to test it with MSVC. I would prefer to have somebody make sure MSVC works before a release rather than testing every patch for MSVC compatibility. We should encourage people to use the release tarballs. Most of the time the git version had some more features but was not as stable and once it became stable there was a release. If the git version lacks some files MSVC needs, there should at least be a guide for MSVC developers of how to generate them.

Let me conclude.
Yes for MSVC support (and other systems if there are people caring)
No for requiring MSVC compatibility in git but providing a guide

Regards
Leon