Re: [Libcdio-devel] Rock Ridge deep directory support

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Rock Ridge deep directory support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 18:12:51 +0200

Hi,

Pete Batard wrote:
> I have just completed my RR deep directory support proposal, which can
> be found in the new rr-deep-directory branch I just pushed.

For now i can say that it compiles on my elderly Debian GNU/Linux.

But review might have to wait a few days, because i am not in good health
and, as you described, the topic is tricky in the context of existing code
in lib/iso9660.
(Hopefully i am done for now with taking anti-vomit drugs. But i feel as
if half of my brain and all my energy are missing.)

> 2. These might be needed for applications that end up not relying on
> _iso9660_dir_to_statbuf() to parse a Rock Ridge directory and therefore will
> need to perform deep directory processing themselves.
>
> Speaking of 2., the current cd-info and dvd-info apps are like that, which
> is the reason why, if you try to use them against a deep directory image,
> you will only see the underlying ISO9660 structure. As a matter of fact,
> even as these apps are supposed to handle Rock Ridge, they seem to be
> missing a lot of code to properly do so.

Ouchers. There should not be such incomplete code duplication.
This is a bad example for users.

If i were in better shape i would announce to change these programs.
But for now i cannot promise anything.
And i need to make an ISO with relocation by xorriso, were this is disabled
by default. After all, i know of no operating system which cannot handle
deep paths in ISO 9660.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas