[libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd GPL w/exception license

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd GPL w/exception license
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:59:39 +0200

Dear all,

I've received a well-motivated request for dual-licensing MHD under both LGPL
and GPL plus a special exception (you may have seen a part of that discussion
on this mailing list a while back). I've send out some e-mails and the result
has been that all (for copyright purposes, as far as I can determine) relevant
copyright owners have agreed (via e-mail to me) to adding the FSF-recognized
eCos License (http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html) to the set of
licenses under which MHD is licensed.  However, there is one catch, this
*excludes* the code for HTTPS support (which includes gnuTLS, which remains
LGPL only).

So as long as you *disable* HTTPS/SSL support in "configure", you can now use
the MHD code under the eCos License (or, of course, you can *always* simply
continue to use it under the LGPL, which for most applications should make no
difference).  For the "official" record, the eCos license is:

"... a modified version of the well known GNU General Public License (GPL).
(...) An exception clause has been added which limits the circumstances in
which the license applies to other code when used in conjunction with MHD. The
exception clause is as follows:

As a special exception, if other files instantiate templates or use macros or
inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it with
other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not by itself
cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
However the source code for this file must still be made available in
accordance with section (3) of the GNU General Public License.

This exception does not invalidate any other reasons why a work based on this
file might be covered by the GNU General Public License."

I will add a note to the MHD code base to this effect shortly (I do not plan
to modify every single file but just add a general statement in the top-level
directory; if someone thinks you need it in every file (except the HTTPS code
of course), feel free to send me a patch...).

Happy hacking!