Re: [libmicrohttpd] Cleanup callback isn't called

From: Erik Slagter
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Cleanup callback isn't called
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:54:13 +0200

On wo, 2010-09-15 at 08:38 +0200, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> As I've explained on the list before, not setting that option is virtually
> always a bad idea (especially since depending on the OS, you may still get a
> V6-only bind anyway).  Now, if you really know what you're doing, then you
> can
> simply use the LISTEN_SOCKET option of MHD and do the socket-bind-listen
> sequence entirely yourself -- then you have full control.  So in that sense,
> such an option already exists.

Of course it's your call in the end, but I really disagree here. I now
have to add a whole bunch of cryptic socket stuff in my program, that
I'd really like to keep "socket-free", because it has nothing to do with
sockets actually, It only features a http controlling interface. The
behaviour for linux is to act dual-stack, unless the value
in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only is set to 1, which has always been 0.
So I think it's reasonable that applications (at least on linux)
actually expect dual-stack behaviour if not explicitly disabled by
themselves.

So at least an option to simply select single- or dual-stack behaviour
would be fair imho.