Re: [libmicrohttpd] connection statistics

From: Simon Newton
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] connection statistics
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:17:57 -0800

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Will Bryant <address@hidden> wrote:
> FWIW, Eivind isn't the only one who would use this - I needed it for my app
> to produce app monitoring statistics.  (This sort of thing is a requirement
> for devops - we only have one infrastructure component in production that is
> not capable of instrumenting itself, and we're writing it out.)
>
> I ended up adding the following patch:
>
> unsigned int MHD_count_active_connections(struct MHD_Daemon *daemon) {
>        struct MHD_Connection *connection;
>        unsigned int result = 0;
>        if (pthread_mutex_lock(&daemon->cleanup_connection_mutex) != 0) return
> 0;
>        connection = daemon->connections_head;
>        while (connection) { connection = connection->next; result++; }
>        if (pthread_mutex_unlock(&daemon->cleanup_connection_mutex) != 0)
> return 0;
>        return result;
> }
>
> Although I don't like O(n) methods, for my app's use case this is acceptable.
>  Of course, if I were rolling this patch into the library, I'd make it a
> MHD_DaemonInfo option to MHD_get_daemon_info, but as a patch it's easier to
> maintain as a separate method.
>
> Counting requests would be more complicated, but you can much more easily
> count request starts and request completions using the provided callbacks, so
> if that is an acceptable definition of active requests the difference between
> those and the connection count can give you the number of inactive
> connections.
>
> Yes, the OS can count active connections.  But I don't have to rewrite my
> monitoring code and test harness code to work on three OSs with their own
> netstat formats, so it's much easier to get it from the app itself.

+1. In my own app I support /debug which I use to dump all sorts of
internal state as key:value pairs. I have something that collects this
every few seconds and dumps the data into rrdtool to produce pretty
graphs.

Here is a small sample:

clients-connected: 1
cmd-line: -l3
fd-limit: 256
http_data_dir: /usr/local/share/olad/www
rpc-port: 9010
rpc-received: 9
rpc-send-errors: 0
rpc-sent: 9