Re: [libmicrohttpd] Consider allowing SO_REUSEPORT when requested

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Consider allowing SO_REUSEPORT when requested
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:58:55 +0100

Hi!

AFAIK the interpretations of what 'reuse port' means differ widely
between operating systems (especially W32 vs. POSIX, but possibly also
within POSIX).  So adding that option to our API creates the issue that
we need to define a particular semantics and then apply it consistently
among all supported platforms --- and decide on how we should fail if
setting that option is not possible or fails (especially on exotic
platforms).

So if you had a (1) well-defined (semantics, errors), (2) reasonablly
portable (W32, iOS, BSD, Linux at least), and (3) well-documented,
including error conditions and handling implementation of this, I'd
strongly consider adding it.

Happy hacking!

Christian