Re: [libmicrohttpd] New Features: Create response from an IOVEC and Thre

From: Evgeny Grin
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] New Features: Create response from an IOVEC and Thread-safe Adding Connections to an EPoll Internal Thread MHD_Daemon
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 21:40:55 +0300

Hello Damon and Lawrence,

Patches are always welcome, we're glad to extend MHD functionality.

Could you explain the new functionality added by 0.9.72-internal_queue_connection.patch? Probably you missed changes in the v0.9.72, but the queue of externally added connection is already implemented and used (see daemon->new_connections_head, new_connections_list_process_() and related). Looks like you partially re-implemented it (without the cleanup part). Have I missed some functionality in this patch?

About 0.9.72-MHD_create_response_from_iovec.patch:
* The header sys/uio.h is not portable. Many platforms don't have it so it cannot be used in main MHD header file (which should works on all platforms very straightforward). However you can define your own similar structures. * You shielded implementation of send_iov_nontls(), send_iov_tls(), MHD_create_response_from_iovec(), and other functions by "#if defined(HAVE_SENDMSG) || defined(HAVE_WRITEV)" so MHD on platforms without sendmsg()/writev() will be built without this function. If you try to link application which is using MHD_create_response_from_iovec() on platform without sendmsg(), the linker will fail. This is not right, you need to implement an emulation for platforms lacking sendmsg(), like you did for TLS connection or similar. There are other minor problems in your patch, I mentioned only the major ones.

Did you run any tests with/without your patch? Did it significantly increase throughput?

Please, use "diff -p" next time as it simplify reviewing the changes.

--
Best Wishes,
Evgeny