Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mission statement

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mission statement
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:50:09 +0200

Hi, please let me speak in this debate

(I hope my thoughts will be clear in spite of my bad English - I
apologize for this)

Il giorno giovedì 24/06/2010 12:47:17 CEST
John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> ha scritto:

> How about:
>
> The mission of the LibrePlanet project is to build a global network of
> local groups contributing to the advancement of free society, by
> promoting free software ideals.
>
> Because:
>
> 1) The emphasis on local groups is a critical part of the project's
> identity,

I agree, but I think it would be better if the emphasis was on
'collaboration and cooperation between local groups' rather than on the
same 'local groups'

> 2) I don't like the "digital rights" language -- it pigeonholes
> freedoms that are more fundamental; there is nothing "digital" about
> the right to share useful stuff with other people, and
>
> 3) I like the idea of including free society.

Yes! So I think this could all be said simply using just the term
'freedom' (without needing any adjective or qualifier).

I have also read the entire thread, and here is my suggestion:

"The LibrePlanet project aims to increase people's freedom, through
the collaboration and cooperation between local groups of a global
network builded to promote free software ideals."

As you can see:

- it is focused on freedom (without using terms such as 'digital' or
  'society') and on collaboration and cooperation

- it refers mainly to the more general and wider level and meaning of
  freedom, being the global network of local groups promoting free
  software ideals a way (one of the ways) to reach freedom

- it clarifies the relationship between local groups which collaborate
  and cooperate togheter into the global LP network

- it says that LP points to reach freedom through promoting the free
  software ideals (using the term 'ideals' to focusing again on the
  'social' aspects more than the 'tecnicist' ones)

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535