Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 16:17:00 +0200

Dnia wtorek, 8 maja 2012 o 16:01:01 Patrick Anderson napisał(a):
> Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > Patrick Anderson wrote:
> >> The FSF should also spearhead the creation of alternatives to
> >> Gmail and Fakebook and AWS and any sort of 'cloud' service.
> >
> > You know... there's sendmail, postfix, ..... that provide a mail
> > "cloud"  - and they've been around a long time.
>
> That is software.
>
> I'm talking about the *hardware* needed to host that software.
>
> Yes, we understand how to share software.
>
> But now we need to understand how to share hardware.

No. What we need are user-facing services, based on Free Software (and
someday, maybe, Open Hardware), that allow users to easily switch
providers or set-up their own services - much like e-mail today.

Hardware and software mean naught to 99% of users. They want a working
service. THAT is why they stick to GMail and Facebook. We need
alternatives to that, and software/hardware are just parts of the
puzzle.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania