Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Michael Mathurin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:54:48 -0400

Patrick Anderson <agnucius@gmail.com> writes:

> Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> In what respect do Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, etc. (Linux), or FreeBSD,
>> OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, etc. not fully respect user freedom?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html
>

>> There are plenty of distributions to choose from
>
> I'm just saying we could use a FSF distro as a vehicle to spread
> a very specific message of User Freedom and what is required to
> achieve and maintain that massive goal.
>
> The 'Start' menu, the desktop background, the initial homepage of
> the default browser, etc. could be used to advertise our message
> and point the user toward using the GNU cloud services as an
> alternative to the corporate offerings.
>
> It might be a good way to move forward with Ramana Kumar's ideas.

I don't we need something distro specific. I don't think an official
FSF distro would hurt but I think keeping it distro-neutral is the
better option. The reason being is that it would have to offer something
for everyone. Many people are happy taking their existing distro and
running linux-libre and only free software and really don't want to
switch to something else. There's also the matter of the amount of
resources they'd have to dedicate to keeping it up to date.