Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:26:39 +0100

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM, <andrew@lewman.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:09:14AM +0100, ramana.kumar@gmail.com wrote 10K bytes in 204 lines about:
: only supported up to XP. Looking at the options I guessed Jitsi would be a
: good choice.
: we try XMPP/Jingle instead of SIP.

Odd. I switched from skype to jitsi a while ago and have found it works
fantastically well just about anywhere in the world. I've had text,
voice, and video chats with people everywhere. As far as I'm concerned,
jitsi is the free software replacement for skype.

Thanks for the encouraging story!

Did you try Jitsi on different platforms (e.g. connecting Windows user to GNU user)?

Did you use Jitsi with XMPP/Jingle or with SIP?

I didn't use Jitsi myself because it didn't work with openjdk7: I couldn't type any text into input boxes (e.g. to input my username and password). That might be a general Java problem though (I don't use Java for anything else at the moment, so haven't looked much into setting it up properly).
But in most of my attempts, the person on the other end was using Jitsi.

There are ISPs in the world that filter by protocol, and VOIP seems to
be a common target. However, voice over XMPP generally works fine in
this case.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475