Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Richard-qbiciii
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:30:37 -0400

Do you mind if I ask some encryption experts to look at this idea?
Please do. That is my intention.

It sounds good, but it is very general.

There have been a few news items and some posts here over the last few days
that caught my attention.

Excerpts from latest Wired Magazine April 24, 2012  :

His face isn't known to millions. But during his remarkable 20-year career, no one has done more than Marc Andreessen to change the way we communicate. At 22, he invented Mosaic, the first graphical web browser-an innovation that is perhaps more responsible than any other for popularizing the Internet and bringing it into hundreds of millions of homes.

Anderson: As I recall, your initial concept for Ning was to let groups create their own Craigslists, effectively-trusted marketplaces.

Andreessen: Yeah, at the time we had this concept of "social apps." Friendster hadn't worked, MySpace was just getting a little bit of traction, and Facebook was still at Harvard. What we knew worked were focused applications: Craigslist, eBay, Monster. So our idea was to bring social into these domains, in the form of apps that groups could run for themselves: their own job boards, their own selling marketplaces, and so on. Then later we sort of abstracted that up into the idea of building your own social network.

Anderson: In retrospect, it seems like social is another dimension of the Internet that was there from the beginning-as if the technology wanted it to happen.

Andreessen: I often wonder if we should have built social into the browser from the start. The idea that you want to be connected with your friends, your social circle, the people you work with-we could have built that into Mosaic. But at the time, the culture on the Internet revolved around anonymity and pseudonyms

Andreessen: We don't really know. The Internet is still the Wild West. Eight years ago, Facebook was just a gleam in a Harvard sophomore's eye. It is still possible to build these things from scratch. So I can't tell you what the top five platforms are going to be even five years from now. I'm pretty sure that Facebook, Apple, and Google will be on that list. But I don't know what the other two will be. Maybe Microsoft comes roaring back with Windows Phone. Maybe Twitter evolves and gets to scale. HP is planning to open source its WebOS-maybe it's that! Or maybe it's something we haven't even heard of, a company that's just getting funded right now.
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2012/04/ff_andreessen/
////////////////////////////////////////////

Then we have this from bloomberg ...

Eduardo Saverin, the billionaire co- founder of Facebook Inc. (FB), renounced his U.S. citizenship before an initial public offering that values the social network at as much as $96 billion, a move that may reduce his tax bill.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-11/facebook-co-founder-saverin-gives-up-u-s-citizenship-before-ipo.html
////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Then this.......
And the Privacy Invasion Award Goes To .
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/05/and-privacy-invasion-award-goes-to

The gist of all this is that the 'need' of the market will guide the manifestation of product to satisfy the demand ( a computer was not needed in the 1800's) of the consumers. That when someone/company fulfills that need, where does the loyalty of the technology/company lie? With the people that make up the success, or Corporate, selfish interest? Can personal information be entrusted to the whims of an individual. How deep does the 'sell-out' go? The matter of trust brings us to my final point. Security of one's information, and who is in control of it.

The idea that ANYTHING put onto the internet automatically become 'public' domain is ludicrous. It should be the opposite. The new platform (domain) that is waiting to emerge is one where everything posted to it is private and highly encrypted , and only by permission of the owner is anything made public. The platform needs to have the security built into it, and only talks to recognized 'certified' objects that the platform itself created and marked as one of its own. Ideally, the main function of the platform is to create 'certified' objects that could be attached to one's unique 'personal object', validate objects upon request, create both private and public certificates (FSF certified) and run the 'platform generated' code embedded in the object upon it's arrival to a server in the network. After which, the object is passed on to a different server. If at all possible, nothing ( code,data) is ever stored, but only circulates on the internet. Code and data are spontaneously assembled together as needed for a specific task then released. Personal data can persist (photos, docs ..) locally or network space, but only in highly encrypted objects that can only be accessed by the personal object.

Once the objects and their methods are standardized, it would be easy to convert existing applications, and new applications to interface with the 'personal' object, and by permission, any objects and attributes attached to it.

Again, the key is assuring that a personal object is unique, and cannot be duplicated. If well done, everything would be almost transparent to the user. Once a personal object is obtained, then the user has the choice of what 'free' software they would like to use to make a phone call, or the platform could select a default application. Just click on 'I want to make a phone call' and the user types in the phone number. Done. All information ( even the voice transmission) is encrypted.

What better place to make a start at this new platform then FSF. I still have alot to say about freedom, and how it applies to 'free' markets. But this is long enough.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>