Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:56:02 -0400

Ramana Kumar <ramana.kumar@gmail.com> writes:

> Also I'm not sure why it's LGPL rather than GPL...

Good question, I don't know the answer.

>> Ekiga should in theory work for video calls, and use Ogg Theora, and I
>> have had some luck with it when talking to another GNU/Linux user. But
>> cross-platform attempts have failed.
>>
>> For just audio calls, at the FSF we tend to use Twinkle.
>>

> Thanks for the info.
> Where do you guys tend to get your SIP/XMPP addresses from?
> Put the answer on the Wiki actually.

We run our own asterisk server and ejabberd. (Not much interesting there
to put on the wiki I don't think).

>> GNU Telephony is promising, and people can support it at
>> https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/telephony/.
>>

> What exactly is the aim there? Apart from donating how can we support?
> What's the timeline for success?

The aim is to provide decentralized secure voice and video
communication.

I'm sure they would welcome hacker support as well as funding, and
questions about the future of the project would be best addressed to the
maintainers / development list.

>> For all the ideas in this thread, I started a placeholder at
>> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Skype_Replacement -- I hope people can
>> help populate that and organize the way forward. We have those wiki
>> pages for other High Priority Projects (you can see them in the
>> category), not sure why we didn't have a Skype one yet. An assessment of
>> the existing options would be a great start for the page.
>>

> Thanks a lot John for starting this page! I hope it becomes a rich
> resource. I have started filling in more details already. Join me, all :)

Thanks for getting it rolling!

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.