Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: wayne, steve
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:36:01 -0500

Is anyone on this thread aware of the Independent Media Center movement? It is something I am learning about and getting involved with. I am donating my personal desktop PC to my local IMC to be used to host web content. Others in the community have begun donating their old computers and network devices also. I imagine that each of us on this list has the potential to rally support for such "independent media centers" in our own local areas that can be coordinated globally through the internet.

Also, I can think of multiple groups with similar goals and ethical standards: indymedia.org, riseup.net, sdf.org, fsf.org, etc.

Rather than trying to tag our lofty goal of providing Freedom Network services onto any one of these (FSF in the case of this discussion), why not simply establish a working group whose purpose is to make these groups more aware of one another at the operational level.

After we have established a relationship among these groups based on our common goals, this "working group" could become a "steering committee" whose aim is to democratically organize effort among the groups--that is, assuming we can establish common ground among the groups.

By approaching existing groups in this way, we can rally support to initiate a funding campaign by which we can purchase and distribute hardware, develop new protocols and software (where necessary) and train individuals to lead their own local Freedom Network services.

Am I making sense?

wayne