Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom is not merely choice

From: Richard-qbiciii
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom is not merely choice
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:18:39 -0400

Everyone has excellent points.

How big must a lab rat's maze be before the rat has the illusion of freedom? How many pathways before the illusion of 'free' choice? The fact remains, even a maze the size of NYC does not change the fact that the rat is still a prisoner and his choices are really not his. He may go through his whole life and never see an outside wall, and even if he did, would he know that he has reached his limit of freedom and choice, or is it just another wall from his perspective?

Freedom is not solely about choices, because as been pointed-out, that can be an illusion. It is rooted in the choices offered, and how they got there. Did the choices presented to me spawn organically, or am I being manipulated by intentionally limited options?

Are the masses worried more about the openness and source code of a piece of software, or the openness of those that stand behind it, support it, and do 'care' about the source code. The openness of the software may be important to a hacker, but how many people out there are hackers? They just want to push a button and make a phone call. Where is their choice? Their 'freedom' is realized by not being manipulated by those that do not have their best interest in mind. By being guided by those that can recognize an outside wall when they see it, show them a path through it, and help them to the other-side.

Rich