Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: Danny Piccirillo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 11:50:21 -0400

I'm working on such a project and it should be ready in September.

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Jason Self <jason@bluehome.net> wrote:
Robert Martinez said:

> Most non-technical users cannot see or understand what software freedom is.
> They are unable to recognize in how far their choice actually connects to the
> idea of free software.

Labeling might be a good thing to do but I'm not sure that I agree with your
reasoning behind it. Your explanation make it seem as if "non-technical users"
as you describe them are just mindless sheep "that passively graze on what
others make available to them." [1]

I think that everyone can appreciate software freedom [2]. That you propose an
educational campagin disproves, I think, your point that people "cannot" see or
understand what software freedom is or are "unable to recognize"...

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer
[2] http://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2011/spring/why-should-i-care-about-that

--
☮ ♥ Ⓐ
     .danny

This email is: [  ] bloggable   [ x ] shareable with consent   [  ] lethal if repeated or forwarded

[𝄽#] The Silent Number - http://thesilentnumber.me/

µBlog: http://identi.ca/dpic
voice: +1.617.340.3661

A: http://five.sentenc.es