[libreplanet-discuss] Sale of Libre-Software Artwork

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Sale of Libre-Software Artwork
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 13:53:55 -0700 (PDT)

As I've mentioned before, I've been producing art pieces using the GPL-licensed
programming
language BASIC-256. An art collector has now purchased a print of one of these
pictures:

http://www.saatchionline.com/art/New-Media-Art-Algorithmic-Art-Berserk-Battle/307020/1373366/view

I think that art made with Libre Software could be a worthwhile plan of attack
for helping out the
movement. Art can speak for itself, bypassing the problems of ideology and
technical jargon. I can
deliver a very simple and direct message to anyone who looks at one of my
pictures: this work
could *only* be created in an environment of software freedom. In other words,
software freedom is
an absolutely indispensable requirement for artistic freedom when you're
talking about the way I
produce art. If someone asks whether I could have made this work using Adobe
Photoshop, the
answer is a flat and simple "no." Period. End of story. Nothing complicated
about it. If anyone insists
on getting more details, please feel free to give them my email address.

Joel