Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sale of Libre-Software Artwork

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sale of Libre-Software Artwork
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:06:25 +0200

> I'm not really talking about the strictly technical capabilities of different
> programs in side-by-side comparisons; I think discussions of libre vs.
> non-libre software get bogged down in this sort of nonsense far too much.
> For artists, as for a lot of other people, it is the *total* environment that
> determines the final result.... And that environment involves many different
> psychological intangibles apart from narrow quantifiable technical issues.
> Using a Libre programming language allowed me to experiment in ways
> I would not have pursued if I'd been fighting with some Adobe bloatware.

It could be argued that this could be done effectively with a different
nonfree program; for me descriptions of the processes used to make art
are much more convincing than a single work of art.  What you wrote
isn't (strictly) about technical capabilities, while seeing a
computational image I think about technical capabilities possibly used
to make it.

> The Libre context also allowed me to have unrestricted communication
> with the program's project leader so we could work on customizing the
> software towards my artistic needs. In short, I'm pretty sure I used all of
> the Four Freedoms multiple times in the process of developing my works.
> And the pictures I made would not have been the same without the Four
> Freedoms, if I could have produced the artworks at all.
>
> I hope I'm making my position more clear. If not, let me know.

It's clear.