Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Gustavo C. M.
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:43:43 -0300

I'm sorry for my short answer; English is not my language...

Please read this:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html

[If you are trying to get free, I would recommend you this for web
searching: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html ]

About e-mail services, focusing on privacy and security (it would be
better to run your own mail server), I would recommend you to use
Lavabit.com:

"Lavabit was founded as a direct reaction to the larger free e-mail
services available. We felt it was possible to create an e-mail service
that was fast, reliable, feature rich and didn't achieve profitability
by prostituting its user base to marketers."
https://lavabit.com/history.html

"For premium users who have elected to use our “secure” service,
incoming e-mail is stored using an asymmetric encryption process that
guarantees that it can’t be accessed by anyone except the holder of the
account password. For these accounts, only the encrypted version of the
message is ever saved to disk."
https://lavabit.com/privacy_policy.html

"In an era where Microsoft and Yahoo’s e-mail services sell access past
their spam filters, Google profiles user’s inboxes for targeted
advertising, and AT&T allows the government to tap phone calls without a
court warrant; we decided to take a stand.
Lavabit has developed a system so secure that it prevents everyone,
including us, from reading the e-mail of the people that use it."
https://lavabit.com/secure.html

Their servers never failed me; they always answer my questions in less
than a week; they only do not offer password recovering, so you will
have to remember it. Regarding privacy and security, you will do better
using Tor and end-to-end encryption also.

I pay for a special account; so I have the asymmetric encryption, and do
not receive ads. By the way, such ads in gratis accounts are made and
delivered with complete privacy respect. More info in their own website.