Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gaming Collective: Hosted server

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gaming Collective: Hosted server
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:46:14 -0400

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 15:48 -0600, Patrick Anderson wrote:
> Rudolf wrote:
> > Also are there any legal problems with this?
> > Like who owns the space? Can we assign the
> > server to the fsf or the collective to maintain
> > as long as the costs are covered?
>
> I am very interested in hashing-out the complexities of what it takes
> to share computing resources so they remain "Free as in Freedom".
>
> Once we understand how to share land, capital and labor for computing,
> it is only a small step to generalizing the solution to *all*
> production, including the most important of all = agriculture.
>
> This is a complex issue, and will take more than simply covering costs.
>
> Covering costs is required to begin and to continue, but we need just
> a bit more logic to insure those shared assets remain truly Free as in
> Freedom for *all* users, not just the few that originally organized to
> be benevolent dictators over the rest.
>
> Here are part of my ideas:
> http://lists.libreplanet.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2012-05/msg00111.html

Can someone from the FSF comment on whether this is relevant or not for
this list? This topic generates a lot of discussion but (I would bet
money) not any actual activism opportunities for the FSF or local
LibrePlanet groups.

Personally, I got sick of this topic years ago on the p2p-research
mailing list. It was one of the many factors that lead to the
signal:noise ratio on that list tipping into the negative.

I seem to remember John Sullivan saying it was more appropriate for
gnu-misc-discuss, but I could be misremembering.

--
Sent from Ubuntu