[libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:07:34 -0400

Hi

The (sometimes delicate) subject of using services like GMail and Yahoo
Mail vs. free + autonomous email services has come up a few times lately
among fellow free software advocates. Short of running our own email
server at home, I think using a commercial service where free open
source software is behind all the infrastructure, or efforts are made to
go that way is coherent with what we advocate.

What services are available that meet such criteria? I personally use
Dreamhost, and in our immediate environment, local to Montreal there is
Koumbit.org (not directly a webmail provider, but becoming a member
gives among other things an email account). Of course the FSF also
provides this when one becomes a member. I'd like to find other
alternatives for people that are not considering membership of any of
the above yet.

I'd like to hear about alternatives, and how to help others deal with
this dilemma: gradually replacing their current email provider with one
that respects freedom and works the same or better than their service.

Thanks in advance,

Fabian Rodriguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca