Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Bryan Baldwin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:53:19 +1200

On 07/25/2012 08:09 AM, Patrick Anderson wrote:
> Robert Martinez wrote:
>> http://freedomboxfoundation.org
> But who owns the network?
> We cannot do this in isolation.
> We must learn to share hardware.

Hi Patrick,

I'm with you on this, but Freedom Box or something like it is still the answer
to your question.

Taking the fight to the owners of infrastructure is hard. Very hard. I'm not
saying it shouldn't be done, but it might be a mistake to count on being about
to go all in on law making revolution.

Moglen said, the keys to social change is a three legged stool, and one leg is
always in front. Politics, technology, law. Politics isn't going to give us
what we need because the state loves surveillance. Law won't give us what we
need because the parties that love surveillance most get impunity from the
state. What we need to do is get the leg of technology out in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HJCczbSF-B8#t=1662s

Freedom box should not only support anonymization through use of encryption and
distributed networking techniques (although these are powerful tools we should
use on the common network as well). But it also needs to supply a mesh network
with like devices. Think of the OLPC neighborhood screen, but in every smart
device. Anything with a network adaptor. With such technology, the network
instantly becomes ubiquitous and impossible to killswitch.