Re: [libreplanet-discuss] review respect of code of conduct on Mancheste

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] review respect of code of conduct on Manchester FAQ
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:59:21 -0500

El 01/08/12 18:59, Thomas Harding escribió:
On 02/08/2012 01:56, Thomas Harding wrote:
On 02/08/2012 00:12, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
I can't bear this flamewar FSF vs Debian

It is not a flamewar....at least from my part. I am not an FSF member either.

Perhaps my words would be more clearly understandable as:
"...Debian does not have an FSF compilant policy for freedom yet."

(sorry for dual post, and my bad English)

I has been excessive in my response,

What I disagree on is fact "Debian main" is not enlisted as FSF-compliant because of /alternatives repositories of Debian who are contrib and non-free/.

And about Linux kernel blobs, they has been dropped out from main for a long now, and this has been largely discussed into Debian because of peculiarity (they are loaded into the hardware and not directly used by kernel), but finally they did the right, drop them from main ! And about install, loading them is let on user decision, with convenient warnings...

While some enlisted distros finally offers non-free repos too, the only difference is : it is not /as easy as/ Debian to use non free software with these distro. But finnally, *you can*.

neither OSI or "Open Source" terms are used in the core Debian terms, but effectively "Free Software"
<http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines>
<http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html>
(OSI is ~ a Debian consequence, not part)

Thank you for your comments Thomas.

Perhaps a separate page describing the position of Debian and why it is not convenient from the position of the FSF is in order for this topic. The Manchester FAQ page or any other page on Libre Planet is not the place to promote the position of Debian according to the LibrePlanet code of conduct unless it changes.

I think your other comments (which I didn't cite here) are very valuable and I consider that each topic you cover should be placed in a separate wiki page to allow for the collaboration of ideas from others. Your ideas prove to be good seeds to make great initiatives follow and grow. This thread is not a fertile place to make that happen and will deviate discussion from the topic of this thread. Please consider that.

Greetings,

--
Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-253 5534
(593)2-340 1517
(593)8-454 8078