Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:30:18 -0400

Folks, I'm trying to be really clear here.

FOSS (including the GPL) does NOT mean that I have to give software away, it means that whenever it is distributed it CAN be freely re-distributed.

Our model is (I think) pretty simple:

- if you want to download the code (source, binary, client-side, server-side) from our machine, before public release, you have to contribute to the project -- anybody who downloads it is free to redistribute it (with open source license attached)

- after public release, all code will be available, for free, under an open source license, directly from our server

- after public release, there will continue to be some kind of fee for using the server-side code running on our server; but the server code will be freely downloadable and anybody can set up their own server

Miles

Patrick Anderson wrote:
Mark Holmquist wrote:
there's a dollar amount sitting between binary and source,
He is keeping the binaries and source bundled together,
but is only distributing those *bundles* to people who pay.

To some, the word 'code' is synonymous with 'source',
but sometimes programmers (such as Miles) use the
word 'code' to mean 'binary'.

For example:
"free to further distribute all source and binary code"

"pay $X more for the source code during alpha and beta".
This should probably read:
"pay $X more for the binary+source during alpha and beta".

What Miles is doing is temporarily withholding the bundles
of binary+source from the general public; only distributing
them to people who actually pay.

Those who pay could also distribute their copies

This is a strategy to get people to pay *early* for work that
is not yet complete.

Paying before production is a profoundly important step
toward solving the mystery of how to compensate those
who want to build a Libre Planet.