Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:31:49 -0400

Hi Ramana

I am not good at writing in as few words as possible...

"You want people to use your software (and derivatives?) without paying for it."
Yes, without having to pay for it.

With both projects, If the software was to be free as in beer forever, it would solve problems. Parents wouldn't get screwed over in the first and I could make money selling support as long as I could also insure that everyone who used the software knew that I wrote it in the second.

If I offered them both as closed source but free of charge then I "code in" messages to the end users. If someone sold them the software and then once they started to use, it, it said it was to remain free (as in cost) forever that would cut into their revenue model :) I could also sue the people who sold it

I've seen GIMP posted on Ebay for sale. I don't want this sort of thing to be done. I want to grant people the right to use it for free and to enforce that in court.

I have to take my kids out to the mall but I will respond to emails again soon, thanks for the feedback... BIAB

Is it okay if I post my last response to you to the list?