Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?

From: Gustavo C. M.
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 16:50:26 -0200

See "Network Services Aren't Free or Nonfree; They Raise Other Issues":
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html

"For programs, we make a distinction between free and nonfree
(proprietary). More precisely, this distinction applies to a program
that you have a copy of: either you [have the four freedoms for your
copy][1] or you don't.
[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

An activity (such as a service) doesn't exist in the form of copies, so
it's not possible to have a copy or to make copies. As a result, the
four freedoms that define free software don't make sense for services."

-------

In what concerns to patents turning its objects nonfree, I don't know if
the law, let's say, automatically forbids everyone but the author to use
them (its confusing to me to "find a pattern" here because of the lack
of distinctions between software and other "patenteable" things); but,
AFAIK, it is perfectly possible to patent something and give to people
any permissions over it. (I've seen this, but I can't remember where.)

I didn't read all of this yet:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/software-patents.html