Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu malware: what to do?

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu malware: what to do?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:51:35 -0500

Jay Cassano <jay@angelofreproduction.net> writes:

> I'm going to go against the grain here slightly and argue that we
> should redouble efforts to get this *out* of Ubuntu rather than
> abandoning Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a key entry point for a lot of people
> into the world of free software, even if they are not stalwart
> defenders of it. I, for one, wouldn't know anything about free
> software or the FSF if it weren't for starting out with Ubuntu.

+1 -- we should try to persuade Ubuntu to remove this antifeature.
However, a lot of people stopping using Ubuntu or saying that they will
stop if it is not changed by a certain date/release, may be the most
effective way to persuade.

We did check in with Canonical before publishing this, to see if they
were planning on any significant changes to it, but they were not.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.