Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:24:38 +0100

Dnia wtorek, 19 marca 2013 o 00:23:06 Thomas Harding napisał(a):
> Le 18/03/2013 21:30, d.dn a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > HTML5 will be a pressure to which the free Software will be
> > confronted, but expect to see the results of the work of the
> > W3C, and seeing the guidelines that will be taken.
>
> Considering DRM as "an obligation", the only way such a DRM would
> be acceptable in a W3 standard would a public domain or at option
> published as Free Software, not impaired by any patent algorithm.
>
> In addition, that kind of DRM would be based on a key pair owned
> not by licensor of content but the person who reads content, with
> ability to the last to register on any place she wants.

Such scheme would not work. Read on.

> But is really any DRM needed?

No. It's bad for culture, users, artists and business. As Cory
Doctorow aptly put years ago (speaking, Oh The Irony, to Microsoft
people):
http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt

This I consider the most thorough summary of issues related to DRM
available, if there are better I would love to read them.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania